For ITR Filing, How Do You Link Aadhaar Card and PAN Card
The Union Government is gradually pushing Aadhaar as a mandatory identification document. In the latest move, the Government of India has decided to make it compulsory for all taxpayers to have their Aadhar Number linked to their Permanent Account Number (PAN) if they want to use the e-filing option for filing their taxes. In this article today, we are going to understand the steps that you need to follow to complete the linking process. Also, as an addition, we will explain what you need to do in case the details on your Aadhaar Card do not match with your PAN Card.
Very well then! Let’s begin…
How to link Aadhaar and PAN on e-filing website of Income Tax Department?
VERY VERY IMPORTANT: It is very important that when you are linking your Aadhaar with your PAN on Income Tax Department’s e-filing website, you ensure that the follow details match on both cards:
- Your name as displayed on both cards
- Your birth date as reflecting on both cards
- Your gender as reflecting on both cards
Do you need to submit any documents?
This is one question that you might be asking at the very beginning. Here is the answer: NO. You really don’t need to provide any document for the purpose. Once you enter your Aadhaar Number, the Income Tax Department will automatically verify all your details by cross-comparing the details on your PAN and on your Aadhaar.
Interestingly, the Department of Income Tax has actually provided the necessary instructions.
Steps for linking PAN and Aadhaar on e-filing website
Let us now start with the actual steps involved in the linking process. The steps are simple and you should be able to follow easily.
- We will start with the assumption that you do not have an account with e-filing website. So, you need to go ahead and register to create an account. We will skip the details of the registration process because it is going to be long and will eat up a major portion of this article. Since this article is about something else, we will focus on that. So, we assume that you visit the e-filing website and you register to create an account.
- Once you have created an account, you will be asked to login. Here, you will be asked to provide you PAN (which will basically become your USER ID), your password and your birth date. Once you have entered all the details in their respective fields, you will have to click on ‘login’ button.
- Once you have successfully logged in, you will get a message on the screen in form of a pop-up. This pop-up will be asking whether you want to link Aadhaar and PAN or not.
- You need to select yes and once you select yes, you will be able to see all your details on the screen. Cross check the information on the screen with information you see on your Aadhaar Card and then, enter the Aadhaar Number in the appropriate box.
- Once you have furnished your Aadhaar Number, you will see a button becoming active. It will say ‘LINK NOW’. Click on that button and the two cards will get linked provided the information on your PAN and your Aadhaar match.
Linking Aadhaar with PAN later
Once you log in, you will be shown a pop-up asking you to link your Aadhaar with your PAN. You may actually reject the offer then and decide to link it later. That can also be done. The steps involved in this are:
- You need to first log in to e-filing website.
- You then need to click on Profile Settings.
- From there, you need find the button which says, ‘Link Aadhaar’. Click on the button.
- You will see a screen where all your details will be given. Match the details with the details on your Aadhaar Card.
- Enter your Aadhaar Number in the provided field and click on the button which reads, ‘Link Now’.
Once Income Tax Department goes ahead and verifies the details, the two cards will be linked.
Linking Aadhaar with PAN during registration
Actually, if you are going to register for the first time with the e-filing website of Income Tax Department, you can link Aadhaar and PAN during the registration process itself. When you are filling in the details on the form, you will be given an option / field where you need to enter you Aadhaar Number (if you have it). Enter the Aadhaar Number and proceed with the registration process. Your Aadhaar will be linked with your PAN as long as your details on both the documents match. You won’t see any confirmation message in this case.
Discrepancies between Aadhaar details and PAN details
It may actually happen that the details on your PAN are different compared to details on your Aadhaar. In such a case, linking the two will not be possible unless you have at least one of the two documents changed / corrected to ensure that the information on the two documents are same.
So, you can either change the details on your PAN or the details on your Aadhaar. How do you do that?
Let us find out…
Changing details on your Aadhaar Card
In case you plan on changing the details on your Aadhaar Card, you can do so either by using Online Mode or by using Offline Mode.
Offline Mode simply means that you need to send a post with accurate details. You don’t need to pay anything in order to have your Aadhaar Card updated. The service is completely free.
For online mode, it is absolutely important that you provide your active phone number. The authorities may actually call you on the number provided for the purpose of verification. Also, the authorities will send SMS to the mobile number you provide to provide you with the application status.
The information that can be corrected on your Aadhaar Card include:
- Your Name
- Your Gender
- Your Birth Date
- Your Mobile Phone Number
- Your Address
In order to make the necessary changes, you will have to provide supporting documents that will be used by the authorities to update your information. The documents that you will need to provide include:
- If you want to change or update your name: You need to provide an identity proof. You cannot use just any document for that. The authorities have listed the documents that can be used as identity proof. You need to provide a document from that list. The document you provide should contain your photograph.
- If you want to change your birth date: You need to provide a document that spells out your birth date. However, as before, you can use only one of those documents that the authorities have listed as supported documents.
- If you want to change your address: You need to provide a document for your address proof. The document you provide should be listed as one of the documents that can be used for the purpose and you need to make sure that your address and your name should appear on the document that you provide.
All the documents that you provide should be self-attested and should be from the list of documents allowed for the purpose.
The entire process of correcting information on your Aadhaar Card involves 4 steps. Those steps include:
- Visiting the following website: https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/ssup-home and login. You need to use your Aadhaar number to login.
- Once you login, you need select the option called ‘Update’.
- Once you get into the update page, you need to provide the fresh information that will be used for replacing the old information.
- Finally, you need to upload all the documents required. You need to use scanned copies of the documents for the purpose. Finally, after the upload has been completed, you need to hit the “submit” button.
That’s all. That’s how you can update your Aadhaar Card information using Online Mode. In case you want to use the Offline Mode, you can use the following form: Correction Form. Download and print the form. Fill it up, and send it with supporting documents to one of the following addresses:
UIDAI, Post Box No. 10, Chhindwara, Madhya Pradesh-480001, India
UIDAI, Post Box No. 99, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad-500034, India
That’s how you update your Aadhaar Card details using Offline Mode.
Changing details on your PAN Card
Instead of making the details on your Aadhaar match the details of your PAN, you can actually make the details of your PAN Card match the details of your Aadhaar Card. For this, you need to have the information on your PAN Card changed. How to do that?
Just as in case of Aadhaar, you can either use OFFLINE Mode or you can use ONLINE Mode.
However, you need to know that while Aadhaar Update is free, you need to pay for updating / correcting your PAN details.
The amount of money that you need shell out is INR 107.00, which includes 93.00 rupees as the actual charge and 15% as service tax.
The money that you need to pay can be paid through:
- Net Banking facility.
- Debit Card
- Credit Card
- Demand Draft
The details that can be changed on your PAN Card include:
- Your Name (This is printed on the PAN Card)
- Your Father’s Name
- Your Birth Date (This is printed on the PAN Card)
- Your Signature (This is printed on the PAN Card)
- Your Photo (This is printed on the PAN Card)
- Your Gender
- Your Communication Address
- Your Aadhaar Number
If you want to update your PAN details using Online Mode, you need to complete the following steps:
- Visit the following website page: https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html
- From the dropdown under Application Type, select the option which “Correction or Changes in PAN Data).
- From Category dropdown field, select Individual (if something else, select appropriately).
- Fill in the rest of the details on the form that you see and finally, click submit and follow the instructions you see online.
Remember that you will have to provide the necessary documents along with the application. The details of the documents that will be required can be found here: https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/correctiondsc.html. Please note that this link details the entire process of application and payment. At the end of the page, you will find two links which will show examples of how the form is to be filled and the list of documents that will be accepted for such correction requests. This also applies for the Offline Mode described below.
In case you want to use the Offline Mode for updating your PAN information, you need to:
- Download the following form: Form to be downloaded
- Fill in the form properly.
- Attach all necessary documents.
- Attach the payment proof as well.
- Send / submit all documents to your nearest location for PAN service.
That’s pretty much all the information you need to know to link Aadhaar and PAN on e-filing website of Income Tax Department. The process is simple and straightforward. However, make sure that you do not try to link these two cards using a publicly accessed computer. We mean to say that never use any cyber café. Make sure that you use a personal computer with proper firewall and antivirus protection enabled to prevent phishing and data theft. Both Aadhaar and PAN are sensitive documents so, protect them from unauthorized access.
In case you have questions or queries, feel free to drop your comments. We will try to answer your questions as soon as possible.